What makes a Happy Home? I love to take care of my family. For me, creating a home that is warm and inviting, where everyone feels welcome is pure joy! The smell of fresh laundry just in off the clothesline, a neat and tidy home and garden, a good home cooked meal, a few desserts here and there, the love of family, friends and fellowship all help to make our home a Happy Home. Join me as we celebrate the holidays, the birthdays and the every days!

Monday, July 14, 2014

Happy Monday and a Weekend Recap


We had a wonderful weekend. Mr OP got up bright and early to go fishing, so I got up and started my day early too. I was at the market and home by 8 am. Woo hoo - I still had the entire day ahead of  me. I like to plan a week's menu at a time so that there aren't multiple trips to the market during the week. It saves so much time by planning the meals ahead of time. Not only by not running to the market every few days , but knowing what we are eating and preparing things in advance if we can.


I did some much needed deep cleaning around The Old Parsonage. I moved furniture around in the living room and brought down a coffee table that we had stored in the attic for a few years. It took a bit of wrestling to do it by myself, but I did it! Not sure why I waited until the temps reached the 90's to decide to bring it down, but it's here now. I have new curtains for the kitchen that I've been wanting to hang for a few months, but need to paint the woodwork in there first. That's on my to-do list for next weekend.


We were running low on laundry detergent so I got out the zote soap and my handy-dandy Cuisinart (not just for food) and went to work. This is so much faster than how I used to hand shred the soap using an old-fashioned box grater - which works, but takes forever.


If you are interested in making your own here's what you'll need.

  • 4lb box of Borax
  • 4lb box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
  • 4lb Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
  • 3 Bars of Fels-naptha/Pink Zote or Ivory Castle


 You'll also need a big bowl or container to mix it in. Pour all your ingredients in the container and then grate the (3) bars of soap. I love to use my Gram's yellow ware bowl to mix mine in. She would have loved knowing what I was mixing up! Yes, I know this photo shows Fels-naptha - it's an old photo, so are my other soap photos. I didn't snap any this weekend of my laundry making efforts. I was more in the moment than thinking about taking a photo.


Choose a storage container with a tight fitting lid to keep out moisture. You'll only need to use 2 tablespoons per load. For a little over $10 we'll have laundry detergent that lasts about 6 months. I do about 6 loads a week on average, but then there's the additional spring and fall cleaning when all the curtains and other linens in the house are washed. Oh yeah, it smells wonderful too!


I did manage to sneak in a bit of junquing too. This booth was just gorgeous (photos above too).  The display and colors made my heart go pitter pat - such soft and romantic colors. The dishes are calling my name. I didn't buy any, but there's always next time!

What about you? What did you do this weekend?

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I never knew, thought about making my own laundry detergent! What a great idea. Sounds like your time was very productive, and fun too! Nice to be back online and checking in!

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

I love this idea for making my own laundry detergent. I am pinning so as not to forget. So lovely to have found your blog. xo Laura

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You had a great productive weekend, how cleaver to use your cuisenart (Is that how you spell it) and plan your dinner menu for a month...I never seem to think that far ahead!!!

Carol

If you are here for the Where Blogger's Create Party click here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...