What makes a Happy Home? I love to take care of my family. For me, creating a home that is warm and inviting, where everyone feels welcome is pure joy! The smell of fresh laundry just in off the clothesline, a neat and tidy home and garden, a good home cooked meal, a few desserts here and there, the love of family, friends and fellowship all help to make our home a Happy Home. Join me as we celebrate the holidays, the birthdays and the every days!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Easy Dessert using a Cake Mix


I made this quick and easy dessert last Wednesday before the nor'easter blew on in. I substituted strawberry pie filling for the cherry pie filling, just because it's what I had on had. I never use store bought cake mixes to make straight up cakes or cupcakes. I like to buy them when they are on sale 10 for $10 or less and use them to make other types of desserts. There are so many recipes out there that use the mixes as a base. Try different types of cakes and fillings - soo yummy.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup water
  • eggs
  • 181/4 ozs cake mix (white)
  • 21 ozs cherry pie filling
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 11/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tbsps milk
  • 1 dash vegetable oil
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease and flour one 15 1/2x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan.
  2. Mix sour cream, water and eggs. Stir in cake mix until moistened. You will notice the batter will be lumpy. Spread into pan. Drop pie filling by large spoonfuls onto batter.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Sprinkle cake with almonds and drizzle with glaze.
  4. To Make Glaze: Mix confectioner's sugar, milk and vegetable oil. Stir in a few extra drops of milk if necessary. Stir until mixture is smooth and of a desired consistency. Drizzle over still warm cake.
A few of you asked about my chocolate covered pretzels. I use Tom Sturgis pretzels and Merken's dark chocolate. I melt the chocolate in the microwave, throw the pretzels into the bowl by the handful, then pull them out with tongs placing them on parchment paper to cool. I immediately sprinkle them with multi-color non-parerils. I'm lucky that I can get the Merken's chocolate in our market. It is the best tasting and melting chocolate (in my opinion), and it comes in dark, milk and white. You can also find it on line.

Have you ever made homemade candy?

8 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your desert looks yummy - thanks for sharing the recipe.
Yes - I have made candy before.
Have made turtles, peppermint bark, dipped pretzels, rocky road clusters and probably a couple others that I don't remember. Used to make it during the holidays, but the last year (several years ago), my house reeked of chocolate for many days afterward, and have not made any since. Not to mention, I do not need all that good stuff within arms reach.:)

Barbara F. said...

I love Merckens. have to find it at specialty chocolate stores here. I love using cake mixes for coffee cakes, etc. this is yummy, I know! Ready for more snow? ugh. xo

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

This cake sounds really good. I also like to dress up plain box mixes, so ill be trying your recipe. Yum!

Vee said...

Sounds delicious...the variety would be good, too, I think. Blueberry, lemon, and...

1CardCreator said...

This looks delicious, makes my mouth water just reading the recipe! Hope you get a nice thaw later in the week like we will. Just pray neither of us gets any flooding! Thanks for sharing, I will be making this one for sure! ~Diane

Susan said...

Oh, thanks for the pretzel recipe, Leann. The dessert sounded yummified, too.

I used to make fudge but now that I"m trying to eat less sugar, I haven't made it in a long time. But Id LIKE to. ha ha ha Susan

chris mckinley said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Always fun to try something new!

Jeanie said...

Sounds good! You've been on a cooking roll lately -- we get to celebrate! (I'm hoping to make the PB cookies this weekend!)

If you are here for the Where Blogger's Create Party click here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...